Very Easy Bean Burgers
When I first became vegan, way back, I found it really tricky making burgers that didn’t fall apart. I finally found a very simple combination that works and haven’t looked back! This recipe works really well with kidney beans because they’re quite easy to mash, but feel free to vary with other beans. You can also easily adjust the flavoring with different dried herbs and spices. I just love the simplicity!
- 2 x 400g can red kidney beans rinsed, drained and mashed
- 60 g oats
- 2 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- dash black pepper
- ½ tsp olive oil optional
- Drain and mash the beans in a bowl, using a potato masher or fork. Add the oats and soy sauce. Mix well.
- Add black pepper and spices and mix thoroughly.
- Form into eight small burgers.
- Warm the olive oil, if using, in a non-stick frying pan. Start with a higher heat to brown. Cook for a few minutes on each side. Lower the heat and cook for a few more minutes, so they are warmed right through.
- Serve with your choice of accompaniments.