Corn Bread: Gluten-Free
I like cornbread made with… corn! Corn bread is best with juicy corn kernels baked into the batter. You can baked the batter in a pan and cut it into squares for a Thanksgiving dinner or bake individual muffins for a weekend breakfast.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbs ground flax seeds in 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup applesauce or any light colored jam*
- 2 Tbs olive oil*
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups nondairy milk or water
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar evaporated cane juice (optional, for a slighter sweeter taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt optional
- For a richer cornbread use 1/4 cup olive oil in place of the applesauce and oil above.
- Variations: Use 1/2 cup of blueberries or 1 cup chopped kale in place of corn. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds before baking.
- Preheat oven to 400oF. For muffins, lightly grease a muffin pan or use paper muffin cups. For
- cornbread grease an 8 inch square Pyrex baking dish.
- Corn meal will vary in texture. Polenta will be very coarse, other varieties are finer. If you use a coarse
- meal it will not soften well in the cooking and give a hard crunch to the bread. You can use a coarse meal
- if you grind it a little finer in a coffee mill or blender.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients: corn meal, flour, baking powder and optional salt and
- In a small bowl mix flax seeds with 6 tablespoons water and beat together.
- Add 1/2 cup nondairy milk or water, oil, applesauce and flax seed mixture to the dry ingredients and
- mix everything together.
- Add more milk or water, about 1/4 cup at a time until you have a thick batter. The amount of liquid
- you add will vary based on the flours you use and the humidity of your environment.
- Add in the corn and stir until blended.
- Fill baking dish or muffin pan half full with batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then drop the temperature to 350°F. Bake an additional 10 minutes for muffins
- or 15 minutes more for cornbread.
- Let cool before removing from pan.
- Makes 12 muffins or 16 squares of cornbread.