Heather’s Pasta and Fagioli
Heather makes this dish often, usually just throwing ingredients together depending on her mood. It always tastes delicious and it is quite an easy meal. The last time she made this, we wrote down the ingredients and instructions as she went along so that we could share this delicious meal with you. This is an excellent place to use some of those caramelized onions that you made ahead of time!
- 2 Onions sliced
- 4-6 Cloves Garlic sliced
- 2 3/4 Cups Vegetable broth
- 15 Ounce Can White beans drained and rinsed
- 15 Ounce Can Fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 16 Ounces Rigatoni pasta
- 4 Cups Fresh spinach
- 2-4 Tbsp Fresh basil slivered
- 1 Place the onions in a large non-stick frying pan with 2 tablespoons of the broth. Cook, stirring frequently until onions start to stick to the bottom of the pan. Add more broth and continue this process until onions are caramelized adding the garlic to the onions shortly before they are done. Set aside. Or use 1 cup of caramelized onions that you have prepared ahead of time (recipe for Caramelized Onions in Sides).
- 2 Meanwhile, place 1 cup of the vegetable broth in a saucepan. Add beans and tomatoes, mix well and simmer until mixture becomes thick and creamy, about 20 minutes. Mash slightly in pan with bean masher. Set aside
- 3 Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop in pasta and cook until al dente, adding the spinach during the last minute of cooking. Drain and place in a heated bowl. Add beans mixture, onion mixture and fresh basil. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve hot, warm or cold.