The Best Vegan Lasagna
This Easy to make Vegan Lasagna is an amazing meatless, dairy-free lasagna packed with a hummus tofu ricotta that’ll please any carnivore! You'd never guess it wasn't packed with cheese. Only 220 calories and 17 grams of protein per slice!This recipe was first made by Vegan Jim’s granddaughter, Cassandra Elizabeth Cordie, (Cassie) on August 4, 2017.
- 12 whole grain lasagna noodles
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini chopped (optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas optional
- 8 oz pig sliced mushrooms
- 12 oz. pkg. frozen spinach thawed
- 5 cups of marinara sauce I used tomato basil
- For the tofu ricotta:
- 2-14 oz pkg. extra firm tofu drained and pressed
- 10 oz tub roasted garlic hummus 1 heaping cup
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup fresh basil finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add noodles and cook just until al dente.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Once hot, add zucchini, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Sauté for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add peas and spinach and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Place drained tofu in a large bowl.
- Crumble with hands.
- Add hummus, nutritional yeast, basil, salt, and garlic powder.
- Stir together with a fork until it's semi-smooth and resembles ricotta.
- Place about a cup of marinara in the bottom of a 9x13in baking dish.
- Top with 4 noodles (3 lengthwise and 1 widthwise to cover the gap at the end). Next add half of the ricotta mixture and half of the vegetable mixture.
- Top with a heaping cup (or more) of sauce.
- Repeat with more noodles, tofu mixture, and veggies.
- Then top with one last layer of noodles and another cup and a half of sauce; I went heavy on the sauce because I love sauce!
- Top with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.