Sweet Potato Bisque
This is the time of the year when sweet potatoes and yams are found in abundance in all of our markets. Choose firm, smooth potatoes of either type for this recipe. The varieties that are sold in most markets in the US are all sweet potatoes. The yams are not really true yams, but are so labeled to distinguish them from the lighter fleshed sweet potatoes. The ones that are labeled yams have a brighter orange color and their flesh is more moist.
- 1 Onion chopped
- 4 1/2 Cups Vegetable broth
- 2 Jalapenos seeded and chopped
- 3 Cups Peeled chunked sweet potatoes or yams
- 3 Carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 Cup Non-dairy milk
- 1-2 Tbsp Fresh slivered basil
- 1 Tbsp Brown sugar
- Dash Cayenne pepper optional
- Place 1/2 cup of the broth in a medium pot. Add the onion and cook stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes. Add the jalapenos and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the remaining broth, the potatoes and carrots. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Process in batches in a blender and return to pan, or use an immersion blender and process until the soup is smooth. Add non-dairy milk, basil, brown sugar and cayenne, if desired. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.