Vegan Green Bean Casserole
Green bean casserole is a true fall comfort dish; its creamy sauce, tender green beans and crunchy onion topping will have everyone coming back for seconds. We substituted a few vegan ingredients, such as unsweetened almond milk and vegan sour cream, for an equally comforting side dish that all can enjoy. Assemble the entire casserole in a large oven-proof skillet for easy cooking and minimal cleanup.
- 1 1/4 pounds green beans trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened unflavored almond milk
- 1/3 cup dairy-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 cups crispy fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Add the green beans to the boiling water and cook until crisp-tender and bright green, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain well and transfer to the ice water to cool completely. Drain again and transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet; pat dry.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, a pinch of salt and several grinds of pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost all the excess moisture has cooked off and the mushrooms start to turn golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and thyme, then continue to cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth into the skillet. Cook, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer until broth is reduced by half, about 1 minute. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, until completely absorbed, then add the remaining 1/2 cup vegetable broth, almond milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring, until thickened and saucy, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the vegan sour cream and soy sauce until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Stir the blanched green beans into the sauce, tossing until evenly coated, then spread into an even layer. Top evenly with the fried onions.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbling at the edges, about 15 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Source: Copyright 2020 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.